Monday, April 24, 2017

Epic Fail!

Ok...So I set out with a great plan to post everyday during the week up to Easter. I failed.
I wanted to show the effort and care that the writers of hymns used to carefully craft their songs.  I think I accomplished this, somewhat.
I wanted to inspire you, my readers, to take extra time and effort in your worship during the week before and the day of Easter.  No idea if that was successful...but I hope so.

Sometimes we set out to do things that seem incredible and we believe if we can do that thing, then the presence of God will be so think in the room that the fog of His glory would surround us.  In our minds and imaginations we tend to believe that our project or task will be awesome, and everybody will hit their parts perfectly, the harmonies will be flawless, and the lighting will be perfect.  Basically, we picture our team onstage lip-syncing to Hillsong, Bethany, or Bethel's music.
Reality check...As I've said before, we are not these worship teams.  You will not sound like them!

As much as I wanted to accomplish my earlier stated goals, I'm not a writer for a newspaper, magazine, or any other publication outside of His Presence - Our Praise and I've failed.
The fact is that failure is part of life, and part of learning.  If we don't fail, then we don't learn how to make things better.

This past Christmas, I was given an entire service to lead the congregation in worship.  I had the lights dimmed to a soft ambient setting.  I had candles placed strategically around the stage, and I created a background for the screen to have up.  I envisioned a time of intimate worship with everyone enjoying the presence of God on that night.  While it was a success, the intended result never materialized.  There was sporadic worship, and everyone enjoyed the music.  But I learned some things about our congregation, and their expectations.  They walked in the door looking to be entertained more than looking to worship.  That's not a bad thing, it's just not what I was hoping for.  They came expecting a type of cantata instead of worship.

My point is this.  Don't be afraid to try something and fail at it.  You can only grow from it.  Thomas Edison tried to make the light bulb around two thousand times before he found the one way that worked.  When he was asked about it, his reply was this..."I didn't fail two thousand times, I just found two thousand ways to not make a light bulb."   When you fail, you're not really failing.  IF you learn something, it's a success!

......But still don't expect your worship team to be Hillsong!

No comments:

Post a Comment